- Organization/Strategic Planning
- Public Involvement
JAN CAULFIELD CONSULTING . . .
is a Juneau, Alaska firm offering facilitation, mediation, strategic and management planning, and public involvement services. In her 30-year career, Jan Caulfield has specialized in working with fish and wildlife, natural resource, and land planning and management issues in Alaska. Jan has also provided services to clients in the fields of education, public health, the arts, and other topics.
Jan Caulfield Consulting’s services include:
- Facilitation & Mediation: serving as a skilled neutral facilitator; designing and conducting effective meetings to accomplish the client’s objectives;
- Organizational and strategic planning: guiding clients in creating plans to improve organizational effectiveness and achieve strategic goals
- Land and resource management planning: developing management plans – often involving contentious public policy issues – that are supported by good information, are responsive to public views, and satisfy agency regulations or other requirements
- Public involvement: designing and conducting public involvement programs tailored to the project and stakeholder and community needs by using effective media, tools, and technologies
Jan Caulfield is known for her ability to:
- Help agencies, organizations, stakeholders, and communities reach agreements that allow them to move forward – in long-term processes to resolve contentious complex issues, as well as in mediation of specific intense disputes;
- Help organizations and agencies strategically tackle organizational issues or create an effective plan of action to achieve important goals;
- Clearly communicate complex and technical concepts to policy makers and the public;
- Complete projects to the full satisfaction of clients, on time and within budget; and,
- Tailor processes and techniques to the needs of each client and readily adapt to budget, schedule, and other considerations.
Facilitation & Mediation
Jan Caulfield Consulting has a proven history of providing skilled, neutral facilitation and conflict resolution services – helping clients communicate clearly, resolve issues, and reach their desired objectives. Jan has substantial experience facilitating collaborative processes involving multiple agencies, organizations, and stakeholders – helping groups craft mutually beneficial solutions to conflicts. She works comfortably with scientific and technical information and in policy and regulatory arenas, yet is also recognized for her ability to ensure that all meeting participants understand complex topics and are fully engaged in discussions.
Examples for Facilitation/Mediation
• Western Arctic Caribou Herd Working Group (2011-present) – annual meeting of 20-member stakeholder group from North and Northwest Alaska that works together “to ensure the long term conservation of the Western Arctic Caribou Herd and the ecosystem on which is depends, and to maintain traditional and other uses for the benefit of all people now and in the future.” See www.westernarcticcaribou.org
• US Bureau of Land Management, Planning for National Petroleum Reserve Alaska (2014 – present) – conducting assessment and designing stakeholder process to develop a landscape-scale conservation plan and regional mitigation strategy for the National Petroleum Reserve – Alaska, with Southwest Decision Resources.
• US Forest Service Regional Leadership Team (2003-present) – three week-long meetings each year of the USFS Alaska Region, Regional Leadership Team; annual meetings of the Alaska Region’s Alaska Tribal Leaders Committee; and mid-year meetings for various Forest Service programs.
• Chinook Salmon Mitigation Fund Stakeholder Panel (2010-2014) – biannual meetings of Chinook Mitigation Fund Stakeholder Panel, which provides recommendations to the State of Alaska for distribution of a federal mitigation fund established under the 2009 Pacific Salmon Treaty.
• US Coast Guard, Dispersant Use Authorization Plan (2013-2014) – provided facilitation services to the Alaska Regional Response Team (ARRT) for government-to-government consultation with federally recognized Tribes and stakeholder/public meetings to present and hear comments regarding a draft plan to authorize the use of dispersants in response to oil spills in Alaskan marine waters.
• Lesser Prairie Chicken Range-wide Conservation Plan (2012-2013) – facilitation and public involvement services for development of a range-wide conservation management plan for the Lesser Prairie Chicken in the states of Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Colorado and New Mexico. Conducted for the Western Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, with the Ecosystem Management Research Institute.
• Unit 23 Working Group (2008-2014) – interagency/stakeholder group working collaboratively to find solutions to conflicts between local and non-local hunters that occur during big game hunting season each fall in Northwest Alaska.
• Alaska Sustainable Salmon Fund (2003-2014) – interagency regional and statewide panels advising the Alaska Department of Fish & Game on priorities for the Alaska Sustainable Salmon Fund, which provides funding for Pacific Salmon habitat conservation, stock assessment and salmon management.
Organizational & Strategic Planning
Jan Caulfield Consulting assists clients in developing or updating strategic plans to create and achieve their organization’s vision or address management issues. Strategic plans list clear goals and objectives, identify effective strategies, provide communication plans, and include a realistic implementation plan and schedule. Jan is experienced in helping groups consider and address organization and program effectiveness, adapt to changes in budgets or other key foundations of the organization, and address needed improvements in decision-making and communication.
Examples for Organization/Strategic Planning
- National Park Service, Ocean Alaska Science Learning Center, Alaska Region (2014 – 2015) – Leading Center Board, staff and Alaska coastal parks in development of a five-year strategic plan for the Ocean Alaska Science Learning Center, which is dedicated to understanding and preserving the marine ecosystem that connects Alaska's National Parks through research and education.
- Alaska SeaLife Center (2013) – Led the Alaska Corps of Coastal Observers Advisory Board in developing a strategic plan for securing resources and partnerships to build and sustain the observers program.
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Wildlife Conservation Division (2013) – Facilitated development of a strategic plan for the State of Alaska’s wildlife management research priorities.
- National Park Service, Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve (2013) – Facilitated meetings of the Park Superintendent with Division Chiefs regarding position management and budget planning for Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve.
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Sport Fish Division (2013) – Led the Sport Fish Division Leadership Team in developing a strategic approach for designing a program of work that is responsive to future funding.
- Arctic Landscape Conservation Cooperative (LCC) (2012-2013) – Led the Arctic LCC Coordinating Committee in development of a strategic framework that identifies and prioritizes high priority science and management needs related to land and resource management in the Arctic, in the context of landscape scale changes brought about by climate change.
- Non-profit organization board retreats and strategic planning for community health, education, public communication, arts, and environmental organizations.
Jan Caulfield Consulting provides expert public involvement services that fully inform the public about projects and their opportunities to provide input to decision-makers. Services include development of comprehensive public involvement plans, individual stakeholder consultations, focus groups, opinion surveys, public meeting planning and facilitation, preparation of clear and engaging media and meeting materials, and use of electronic and social media.
Project examples include:
- Southeast Alaska Transportation Plan (2014; 2010; 2004) – Provided public involvement program (as part of a consultant team) regarding update to regional transportation plan, addressing road and ferry service in Southeast Alaska.
- US Forest Service, Tongass National Forest (2012-2013) – Provided public involvement and public meeting facilitation services for a five-year review of the Tongass Land and Resource Management Plan and the Wildlife Conservation Strategy.
- City and Borough of Juneau, Eaglecrest Ski Area (2011-2012) – Provided public involvement services as part of a consultant team preparing a 30-year Master Plan for Juneau’s community-owned Eaglecrest Ski Area.
State of Alaska
- Alaska Board of Game
- Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development
- Department of Environmental Conservation
- Department of Fish and Game
- Department of Natural Resources
- Department of Revenue, Alaska Retirement Management Board
- Department of Transportation and Public Facilities
- University of Alaska Southeast
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- National Park Service
- US Bureau of Land Management
- US Coast Guard
- US Department of Interior, Federal Subsistence Board
- US Fish and Wildlife Service
- US Forest Service
- US Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution
- City and Borough of Juneau
- City and Borough of Sitka
- Haines Borough
- City of Wrangell
Scientific / Technical Organizations or Consultants
- Alaska SeaLife Center
- Ecosystems Management Research Institute
- GeoAdaptive LLC
- ICF International
- Pacific Salmon Commission, Transboundary River Panel
- Pacific Salmon Commission, Yukon River Panel
- Western Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies
Community Health and Education Organizations
- Association of Alaska School Boards
- Association for the Education of Young Children - Southeast Alaska
- AWARE, Inc., Girls on the Run of Southeast Alaska program
- Discovery Southeast
- Juneau Alliance for Mental Health, Inc.
- Juneau Community Charter School
- Juneau School District
- Juneau Teen Health Center
- Juneau Youth Services
- Southeast Alaska Independent Living
- Southeast Alaska Regional Health Consortium
Economic Development Organizations
- Juneau Economic Development Council
- Southeast Alaska Soil and Water Conservation District
- Southeast Conference
- Yukon River Drainage Fisheries Association
- Alaska Geographic
- Coast Alaska Radio/TV
- Juneau Dance Unlimited
- Juneau Lyric Opera
- Juneau Watershed Partnership
- Perseverance Theatre
- The Nature Conservancy
- Trout Unlimited